Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Monday, August 29, 2005

Absorbed in the Moment


The greatest support we can have is mindfulness, which means being totally present in each moment. If the mind remains centered, it cannot make up stories about the injustice of the world or one's friends, or about one's desires or sorrows. All these stories could fill many volumes, but when we are mindful such verbalizations stop. Being mindful means being fully absorbed in the moment, leaving no room for anything else. We are filled with the momentary happening, whatever it is--standing or sitting or lying down, feeling pleasure or pain--and we maintain a nonjudgmental awareness, a "just knowing."
-Ayya Khema, "Be an Island"

Copyright Wisdom Publications 2001. Reprinted from "Daily Wisdom: 365 Buddhist Inspirations," edited by Josh Bartok, with permission of Wisdom Publications, 199 Elm St., Somerville MA 02144 U.S.A, www.wisdompubs.org.

James's comment: Staying mindful in everything I do is the biggest lesson for me that I learn and relearn everyday. I certainly do my fair share of making up stories in my "mind" and worrying as well as dwelling on my "sorrows" instead of staying mindful in the present moment. I think that it is o.k. to feel sorrow if that is the moment that you are in but it is not healthy to dwell and live in that moment. That is easier said then done for all of us especially those with brain disorders but thankfully we have good medications now that can go a long way to help.

-Peace to all beings-

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

isaiah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
isaiah said...

J-

We all have brain disorders, my friend. Don't think you are alone in your condition- cause you're not. You happen to have a certain diagnosis...most aren't as fortunate to know otherwise... (we all just think we're crazy!)

The post you made a few days ago about karma and depression really resonated with me- because I, too have had issues with depression. We just buried a high school buddy two weeks ago who had issues with depression and substance abuse.

You, YOU-my friend, are complete and whole- just as you are (and you know this- deep, deep down inside you know this, even though your circumstances.)

I admire your strength and courage-your presence here in digital world (where I feel you- YOU...through binary bits of 0's and 1's.)

Your mindfulness is complete and whole- hell, we all make up stories so we can sleep at night. It is OK to feel sorrows- Christ, that's what makes us human. You- YOU feel deeply, I sense this, and this is perhaps your 'curse'- but, it is indeed your entire blessing- YOU feel....

Be alive, Feel...and recognize your blessings- as I'm sure you do. Your words are beautiful and poignant. You touch many here with your presence and inspire us with your thoughts. You are in my thoughts now for peace & blessings.

Love & blessings

James said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
"James" said...

isaiah: I agree that we all have brain disorder. Thus the reason that we are still caught up in samsara's cycle of birth and death.

Thank you for saying those wonderful and kind words about me. I think everyone is already enlightened but it is our journey to realize it and peel back the layers of the onion.

I feel your energy too isaiah. I agree too that our sorrows make us human.

My physical condition is indeed a positive and a negative. We all know the negatives but the positives are immense in my spiritual growth.

I do not believe that I would be as at peace spiritually as I am now without having to go through this condition. In that way it is a great blessing, a great teacher.

ShareThis Option