Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The Power of a Smile

Smiling is very important. If we are not able to smile, then the world will not have peace. It is not by going out for a demonstration against nuclear missiles that we can bring about peace. It is with our capacity of smiling, breathing, and being peace that we can make peace.

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

~Thich Nhat Hanh

James's comment: What a great reminder of the power of a smile to change the world. It is a gentle yet firm reminder that to obtain world peace we must start with ourselves. Smiling and breathing and forgiving ourselves are the foundation for leading a life that will have positive effects on others. A positive, constructive, peaceful attitude rubs off on others and is passed around to many.

There is a saying, "What we think upon grows." This may be positive or negative and we constantly have to work to breath deeply to keep ourselves in a positive mood as best we can. It is not always easy as I can attest but I see it as a worth while path with the best road toward personal and greater world peace.

I hope some of that made sense.
Heh. :)

-Peace to all sentient beings and a smile to all things-

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

isaiah said...

If you cannot bless someone with a good deed and open heart, bless them silently with a warm smile.

I find when I wear my joy in a smile it does one of two things: it confounds or it empowers others.

Either case, I know my job is to warmly bless each person or I am not empowered to the degree I choose...I am not living the grace afforded me by my willingness to give and receive.

Trev Diesel said...

A smile to you, James...

"James" said...

isaiah: I think that smiling is an important part of following the Bodhisattva path.

trev: a smile to you as well. :)

Nacho said...

Dear James, you are so right, and in my experience, Thay is so right also. A smile is the best practice to bring me back to mindfulness when my mind wanders as I sit. It is also the best strategy for recognizing my foibles and screw ups and not berating myself. The smile is full of compassion. And of course, it has such positive results directed outwards. Thanks for posting the quote. These comments by Thay have been very helpful to me.

On a different note, I will be attending Thay's retreat in Colorado (Estes Park) later this month! I stand to be ordained into the Order of Interbeing. We'll see. I hope you and your family are well, and that you are ensconced in the heart of peace, love, and joy.

Nacho
http://www.woodmoorvillage.org/

Beth said...

very nice quote. i can't even count how many times a day i say "breathing in i calm myself, breathing out i smile" and the smiling really has a powerful effect. also, during zazen when my mind wanders, i smile when i return to my breathing.

"James" said...

nacho: I sent you an email about the retreat and your ordaination. :)

haiku poet: I do the same thing!! Those little mantras help so much during the day.

Mahes said...

"The power of smile"

Childrens are more powerful
than elders..

Next place goes to ladies..

Third place goes to photo studios..

Fourth place.. "Bachelor man"..

Rest of them should wait till their next bith.

andi said...

Haikupoet:

Thank you for sharing the mantra. It's simple, elegant and now is taped to my monitor :)

"James" said...

andi: You're welcome. I hope that it brings peace and relaxation to you.

mahes: Thanks for visiting mmy blog. :)

ShareThis Option