Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Monday, September 12, 2005

Practice Love, Give Joy and Protection


Arouse your will, supreme and great,
Practice love, give joy and protection;
Let your giving be like space,
Without discrimination or limitation.

Do good things, not for your own sake
But for all the beings in the universe;
Save and make free everyone you encounter,
Help them attain the wisdom of the way.

-Prajnaparamita

From "The Pocket Buddha Reader," edited by Anne Bancroft, 2001. Reprinted by arrangement with Shambhala Publications, Boston, www.shambhala.com.

James's comment: I received this mantra the other day in my in-box and It has made such a mark on me that I wanted to share it with you all. May it bring right vision in you as it did in myself. This is a great mantra for those of use to remember who have embarked eons ago on the bodhisattva path.

(Picture: Burmese monk meditating)

-Peace to all beings-

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

andi said...

"Do good things, not for your own sake, but for all the beings in the universe."

that's my favorite part.

Beth said...

i love this! thanks for posting it.

Lans said...

This is a wonderful teaching! I think it is one of the most important, if not THE most important teachings. There really is very little else, is there? Thanx for sharing it.

"James" said...

Andi:

yeah, that was one of my favorite parts to it too.

Haiku:

You're more then welcome.
Peace be with you.

Lans:

I agree that there is not much more then this to teach. Once we understand this teaching we must then practice and meditate.

Belly said...

I can be really protective of my time and energy so I find "Let your giving be like space, Without discrimmination or limitation." a real challenge some days. And yet, when it flows without limitation a beautiful day is had regardless of my energy levels. I am continually amazed at the walls I build and how simple they are to overcome when my perspective changes.

Thanks for sharing!

"James" said...

Belly:

So true. I think we all constantly build up walls. That is why meditation is so important I think. It allows us to "let things go" much easier.

bohemiantroubadour said...

This is a beautiful post.

"James" said...

bohemian:

It really is isn't it?

thein said...

Listen to the Buddhas teachings. Listen to Theravada Dhamma talks from venerable Myanmar Sayadaws. Audio files are in mp3 format.

You can navigate to the Dhamma Talks page from the home page.

http://www.thebesttrust.org

ShareThis Option