Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Monday, October 24, 2005

Nirvana Will Come Later



I myself feel, and also tell other Buddhists that the question of Nirvana will come later. There is not much hurry. If in day to day life you lead a good life, honesty, with love, with compassion, with less selfishness, then automatically it will lead to Nirvana.

~His Holiness The 14th Dalai Lama

James's comment:
I remember when I first started to follow Buddhism I got too caught up in the concepts of "Nirvana" and "Enlightenment" instead of just sitting, breathing and watching. I am now more aware that these day to day activities open our eyes to the already existent state of Nirvana or Enlightenment. Stick to the basics and you can not go wrong in my opinion.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

pam said...

I enjoy your site. If you syndicate it people could access it easier.

Zen Unbound said...

pam,

James's blog is syndicated: http://thebuddhistblog.blogspot.com/atom.xml

Pam's right, though, James. You should put up a Syndicate link in your sidebar.

alwaysdare said...

My grandmother basically said the same thing to me as HH in your quote and I don't think she even knows anything about buddhism.

She basically said that if you do good things in your life then you won't have to worry about anything when we die :)

"James" said...

Alwaysdare:

Sounds like you have/had? a wonderful grandmother. It is so beautiful to me how truth is truth no matter what one's religion might be. At the heart of most religions there is more in common then not I have found.

Johnny Newt said...

Being raised in a culture of achieving goals and obtaining levels of success, it was hard to grasp the concept of leaving behind the "becoming" to simply except "being."
It is so easy to see ones self on a path to something else, I find that often it is discontentment that urges us along to nowhere.

"James" said...

Johnny Newt:

Yes, that seems to be a common obstacle for us western Buddhists in particular.

This struggle does often lead to a road to nowhere indeed. It is like chasing the wind.

Indigo said...

I see it as another form of attachment and aversion to be always grasping at the next moment and trying to escape the present one. Whether the hopeful goal is something material or something spiritual, it is still denial of the nirvana that is present right here right now, waiting for us to pay attention to it.

"James" said...

Indigo:

I agree. Well said.

Zen Unbound said...

Trackback

This post is cited in Blogmandu, Roundup for Oct. 24 - 30, 2005.

ShareThis Option