Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Clear Mind Meditation


Clear mind is like the full moon in the sky. Sometimes clouds come and cover it, but the moon is always behind them. Clouds go away, then the moon shines brightly. So don't worry about clear mind: it is always there. When thinking comes, behind it is clear mind. When thinking goes, there is only clear mind. Thinking comes and goes, comes and goes, You must not be attached to the coming or the going.

~Zen Master Seung Sahn

James's comment: I often use the cloud/moon metaphor when meditating and having intrusive thoughts. I picture clouds that are covering and blocking the clear mind represented by the moon and watch them pass with my mindful breathing. This is a great metaphor meditation on clear.

-Peace to all beings-

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

John said...

I like this metaphor. It also serves to remind you that you aren't "gaining" anything. You're not creating a clear mind or making your mind become a clear mind. It's always been there.

Thanks for this reminder.

"James" said...

John:

It is one of my favorite metaphors to help remain mindful and clear minded in my meditations.

"James" said...

And yes, the reminder that clear mind has always been there. That is probably the most important teaching here.

Johnny Newt said...

What a beautiful post. This teaching i have not known, but now this truth you have granted me. A gift greatfully accepted.

"James" said...

Johnny:

I am happy to share what I learn and find useful. Enjoy your breathing!!

Planetarium said...

Yep, this metaphor is great as all metaphors of buddhas, who already realized their true nature;)

The main teaching of it, that there is nothing anywhere to achieve, is for me the most important concept in buddhism. If you just realize that nothing prevents you from being enlightened, you already have all you need and you live with this in mind..how can you be unhappy? ;)

clearmindmeditation said...

I really like this concept. In fact I like it so much that I based my entire website on it :)

Of course I created the site several months ago before hearing this particular quote, but it's completely relevant to my philosophy.

Namaste

ShareThis Option