Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Cycle of Birth and Death


From contact comes feeling. From feeling comes reaction. This is what keeps us in the cycle of birth and death. Our reactions to our feelings are our passport to rebirth.

-Ayya Khema, "Being Nobody, Going Nowhere"

James's comment:

Great reminder that our reactions to our feelings seem to be more powerful then the actual feelings.

-Peace to all beings-

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Monica said...

Thank you for reminding me this.

alwaysdare said...

This is true, most probably but how can one improve their reactions to feelings? (perhaps increasing mindfulness)

Nacho said...

James, I read the title of the post and immediately thought of an accident I had many years ago while riding a bicycle . A car turned left and cut me off, and I hit the car and went flying over it, landing on the other side on the pavement. I thought I was going to buy it. Then again, when I first got that bike, I used it to complete my first medium distance triathlon in Puerto Rico, so it was a kind of new birth for me, as I pushed past one of those plateaus. : ) I know this is not what you meant, but... : )

Best,

N

kaotika_amelie said...

It is a very wise comment indeed, that we most of the times have stronger reactions to our feelings that feelings themselves.

But I enjoy having those passionate moments sometimes, struggling with myself to be balanced and all that... you know why? Because it makes me feel alive!!!

Keep it going :)

"James" said...

Monica:

Your welcome.
I bow to the Buddha within you.

Alwaysdare:

Yes, I would say mindfulness.

Nacho,

Good to hear from you again!
Great story of rebirth!!

Kaotika Amelie:

I think we can still have passion but that it is important to not over do it. :)

Peace.

ShareThis Option