Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Meditation and Ravi Shankar

I've been having some great meditation sessions lately. I've been sitting in silence for 20 minutes and then ending my sitting with listening to a 20 minute raga played by sitar master Ravi Shankar. Shankar's entrancing playing puts one into a place of going beyond everything and being blended into everything that exists. If you haven't listened to the sitar then I recommend you give it a listen and start with the master himself, Ravi Shankar. You can't go wrong with any of his albums but I would recommend beginning with his older, traditional stuff from the '60's to start such as:


-Three Ragas
-Live at the Monterey International Pop Festival
-Ravi Shankar in San Francisco

-Peace to all beings-

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

isaiah said...

Ravi's music is inspiring,calming, other worldy...I was introduced to his music in my teens and have loved him since.

Yes, listening to his music is like meditating itself...

"James" said...

Isaiah: It's funny that you mention this post as I was thinking about this post again right before I clicked on your response. Synchronicity I guess...we are all One.

My wife just got me an mp3 player (I know I'm behind the times without an Ipod but the funds you know) and well, anyway, I am listening to Ravi on the player as I type this!! Too crazy.

Anyone who is interested in audio meditation (and who hasn't heard Ravi yet) then I suggest you go out and get some now!!...after all now is all that we experience.

Audio meditation is a great way to be relaxed and open to the present moment, especially while driving. It keeps your mind clear and alert to the moment so that you can be a good defensive driver. :)

carLa said...

tHANk you very much for the music sugestion... they are three great albuns!!!! I love them!!!!

Do you know "The Tiger and the Brahmin"? Is a very good story for meditate on!!... This tale from India is about a good-hearted Brahman – or holy man – who helps a tiger out of a trap. You can listen to this story. Narrated by Ben Kingsley and Ravi Shankar's music composition.

cheers

ShareThis Option