Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Try Not to Escape Life, But Face It

The important point of spiritual practice is not to try to escape your life, but to face it -- exactly and completely.

~Dainin Katagiri Roshi

James's comment: So often we try to run from the very thing that will liberate us. We are scared of our own shadow. When we can stop running and face our shadow we realize that it is nothing to be afraid of. We should view our "difficulties" in life as the great liberators.

It is the prime teaching to allow us freedom from attachments. If we can detach from our notions of what our life should be and just face it for whatever it is then we have a much greater chance to ride the waves rather then drown in them.

-Peace to all beings-

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Johnny Newt said...

Exactly James, there is nothing I can add.

Victor said...

how can one 'face'life for what it is if others, who are agents of change, continually make impacts on the world that we all exist in to fulfill what they believe the world SHOULD be. In other words, if we accept the way life is, then we inherently fall subject to the influences of others. I feel that 'facing' life would entail facing a world of constant change and despair, which only breeds questions. Answers arise from understanding; not acceptance.

They call him James Ure said...

Victor:

I understand your view point. I do not believe that Buddhism should be a totally passive religion.

I feel that we have a responsibility to practice what Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh calls "Engaged Buddhism" which urges us to be involved in the process of life.

We have a responsibility to speak up when change in policies cause vast amounts of suffering for other sentient beings.

We must do what we can to influence a better world. That includes voting and actively taking responsibility for our society.

For example, I voted twice against George W. Bush here in America but I accepted the will of the people when he received the most votes.

I accepted this reality as much as possible because to remunate over it all day every day only caused me more suffering.

At the same time, I spoke out when I could and still do. I think the key is finding a balance or walking the middle path as Buddha wisely teaches us.

Anonymous said...

"but I accepted the will of the people when he received the most votes."

Too bad he didn't receive the majority of the votes either time.

They call him James Ure said...

Anonymous: Yeah I have my suspicions too.

Anonymous said...

WTF your all so high, you need to stop looking at life like its this big ordeal. For real lifes what you make it to be, so deal with it....

Christopher said...

THANK YOU! I needed to hear that today. Now I can face tomorrow a little better with purpose than with fear.

Hosterio said...

I'm not sure what I want my life to be...
I want an adventure, I want fireworks and I want to make a difference. My life isn't quite like this - do I just accept it and face my own normality? Or do I try and escape the life I'm currently living for the things I want?

ShareThis Option