Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Existence is a Miraculous and Mysterious Reality

I like to walk alone on country paths, rice plants and wild grasses on both sides, putting each foot down on the earth in mindfulness, knowing that I walk on the wondrous earth. In such moments, existence is a miraculous and mysterious reality.

People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child--our own two eyes. All is a miracle.

-Thich Nhat Hanh, "Miracle of Mindfulness"

James's comment: The above quote pretty much says it all. Thay has such a wonderul way to bring it all down to a level that all can understand without confusion. Especially making Buddhist teachings more clear to us in the west.

What a beautiful reminder that we can be in a constant state of meditation and awareness if we take the time to take in the blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child, our own two eyes, the warm sunshine on our face, the breeze flowing through our clothes, the grounding, organic Earth and on and on.

-Peace to all beings-

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

Trev Diesel said...

James - so glad that you posted this. This this no doubt my favorite passage from him - "I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth." There have been many times I've been stuck in my suffering and remembered this passage - somehow allowing me to lighten and loosen up and experience life as a miracle. Peace!

"James" said...

Trev:

It is one of my favorites as well.

It is very grounding and helpful too in lightening my load and/or clearing out of the rocks of perfection that I haul around a lot of the time.

Binh Zientek said...

I love this quote as well, so simple but effective.
It is amazing how we can just pass through our days in a haze of emotions: anxiety, fear, confusion and not appreciate the simplicity of life.

I had a miserable start to this week and just wallowed in my own misery. Then today, as I was working to work, I opened my eye and looked at the sunshine, and felt the light breeze and was lifted out of myself. I recognized the preciousness of living every day mindfully.

Peace to everyone on earth.

"James" said...

Binh:

It is so wonderful that such simple things can bring us so much peace and happiness. I think that we as humans try to sabotage our lives and make them harder with jumping into the whirlwind of emotions.

Keep up the progress!!

dragonflyfilly said...

i came accross your blog on TaraDharma's link...great...

your blog is certainly a "cyber refuge"...one i would like to visit often. (certainly one that i needed today as i forgot to look for the daily miracles, lost in the pain of my body as i am today...)thanks...

"love and light" [in the words of my spiritual advisor]
pj

tinythinker said...

Yes, he (Thay)has seen the reality of the Pure Land for himself, not as an abstraction, but in the places he walks. The whole world teaches him the Dharma and supports him in his practice. Marvelous.

"James" said...

Dragonfly:

I am glad that you find my blog a refuge. I find it a refuge for myself as well.

May peace be with you always.

Love and light right back to ya.

Tiny:

Exactly. Everything is the Dharma. Everything is a teacher.

888 said...

Thank you for reminding us of the multifold wonders about us here on Earth.

-Bruce

"James" said...

888:

You're more then welcome. Welcome to this space. May you feel calm at all times and especially when you visit this blog. :)

I bow to the Buddha within you.

ShareThis Option