Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Final Analysis



People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway!

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway!

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Be successful anyway!

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway!

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway!

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway!

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway!

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you have anyway!

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God:
It was never between you and them anyway!

~Mother Teresa

James: Call it "God," "Infinite Consciousness," "Enlightenment," "Nirvana" or whatever. It still rings true.

-Peace to all beings-

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

theycallmemac said...

What extraordinary words. Thanks for the post!

tatiana said...

Beautiful, true words.
This should be read at every high school graduation. thanks for posting this.

isaiah said...

Yes.

This is one of my favorite writings.

quicksilver said...

tatiana, I seem to recall one of my teachers actually reading this at my (HS) graduation, in fact. I could be wrong, but it sounds quite familiar.

These words are good for people to hear. I can't help but think people would raise a stink if said in a public place because it mentions God and was said by a Christian... not that Christians aren't to blame for saying idiotic things too ("science books teaching evolution should have a disclaimer")I'm just saying.

"James" said...

Mac:

Yeah they really are. I think I'm going to get the poem framed.

Tati:

I couldn't agree more. It is something I pull out and read on a regular basis along with the desiderta. If you haven't read that one you should. Look for it on google.

Isaiah:

I can see why.

Quick:

Yeah I wish people weren't so sensitive about the "God" thing being mentioned in school. I don't agree with school prayer but don't have a problem with reading a poem at graduation.

Heather Whipple said...

I know this as the song "Anyway" performed by Maggie and Suzzy Roche on their album "Zero Church".

http://www.roches.com/lyrics/zerochurch.html

"James" said...

Heather:

Wow, synchronicity!! How cool.

Sujatin said...

And forgive, be kind etc etc because the Buddha forgives and is kind to you - and you have all these tendencies within yourself - and sometimes out they pop!. Think of the myriad of ways we slip from the ideal of perfection every day - well, I do. Because I'm bombu - a 'foolish being' - fully human. Frail but wanting to do my best

"James" said...

Sujatin:

Frail but wanting to do our best is right on.

dragonflyfilly said...

thanks again...yeah, i was practicing forgiving myself today...not always that easy,
cheers for now,
pj

"James" said...

PJ:

I was just reading in my latest book some of the following, positive quotes:

"Anxieties and uncertainties are accepted as normal and concomitant to growth."

"Successful self-inquiry requires a realistic appraisal of the limitations of human development and tolerance for both ambiguity and the normalcy of being less than perfect."

"The lower emotions still erupt periodically and require correction, but they are now unwelcome rather then sought or valued."

"Fear of failure is diminished by realizing that one is responsible for the intention and effort but conditions and factors that are nonpersonal."

"Transitory difficulties of social realities are ACCEPTED ASPECTS OF HUMAN LIFE rather than being seen as personal insults."

ShareThis Option