Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Hearing the Ocean in my Dish Washer.


I sat down to meditate
this afternoon and
was immediately distracted
by the dish washer
roaring in the background.

I breathed deeply,
however, and soon I was letting myself
be in the moment.

Settling into mindfulness
I was able to think about
the dish washer and what it was doing
and not just the noise it was making.

Then I focused on the interconnectivity
of all things and my concentration floated
back to the dish washer--
this time with new ears and awareness.

I had the realization that without the noise
I would not have clean dishes!!
I smiled and thanked the dish washer
(and the noise) in helping me live an easier life.

My mental formation was, "What a great invention" rather then, "That machine is so noisey. I hate the dish washer."

What a difference mindfulness brings to ones state of mind.

A few deep breaths later I began to hear something beautiful
in the noise. It sounded just like the waves of an ocean
crashing onto a rocky beach!! I settled into that image
and soon my breath was in sink with the in's and out's of the waves.

It was so nice to meditate along a beach this afternoon.

~Peace to all beings~

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Angela Ferreira said...

I would love to have a dish washer... don't have space for one unfortunatly...but oh well I have a husband, thank you husband for doing the dishes hahaha :-)

"James" said...

Angela:

I would give you a dish washer if I could. :)

dragonflyfilly said...

on a somewhat syncronistic note ---this morning i was sitting up in bed with a cup of coffee, thinking about the wild and wonderful dreams of the night, when the noise of the traffic interrupted my thoughts, and i thought "darn those noisy cars", then i remembered the first few nights in Maui, when the crashing of the incoming tide was so loud i could not get to sleep; and i remembered also the swish, sheesh, shlep of the water, (waves without energy)as it subsided back into the ocean. Once i got used to the sound it would lull me to sleep after a busy day of sand castle building. So i reminded myself that the noise of the traffic was no different from the Maui tide, and started to hear the traffice as incoming and outgoing tide, and soon i was back into the dreamland of my thoughts!

then i came to visit your blog, and read your post...it is so funny how often you and i think along the same lines....i love it...

Hi, Angela,
i will trade you my dishwasher for your husband!...hah hah!

nameste, etc, (and may all being be happy!)
pj

"James" said...

PJ:

Wow, yeah it's crazy how in synch we are to each other. Pretty cool.

staterka said...

Thank you for sharing. Your post was enlightening.

"James" said...

Staterka:

You're quite welcome. I'm glad that my words connected with you. :)

Namaste.

jdat747 said...

just don't try to use laundry soap:

Dishwasher

ShareThis Option