Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Thursday, April 19, 2007

This Body is Not me Poem by Thich Nhat Hanh

This is the poem I was looking for yesterday that I wanted to add to yesterday's post on the Virginia Tech killings. It is a great poem to meditate upon to find peace in regards to issues of violence, death, pain and suffering that come with samsara:

This body is not me.

I am not limited by this body.

I am life without boundaries.

I have never been born,

and I have never died.

Look at the ocean and the sky filled with stars, manifestations from my wondrous true mind.

Since before time, I have been free.

Birth and death are only doors through which we pass, sacred thresholds on our journey.

Birth and death are a game of hide- and seek.

So laugh with me,

hold my hand,

let us say good-bye,

say good-bye, to meet again soon.

We meet today.

We will meet again tomorrow.

We will meet at the source every moment.

We meet each other in all forms of life.

~By Thich Nhat Hanh, Chanting and Recitations from Plum Village. Page 188.

James: Isn't that lotus gorgeous!! I wish to extend a lotus to you all to hopefully bring a smile to your heart, face and eyes.

~Peace to all beings~

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

h. said...

That picture is devine.

trinitystar said...

James spot on with this ... boundless infinate beings.

Although the circumstances of Virginia Tech was very sad.

Prayer for their quick return to the source.
hugs for you

awouldbehipster said...

Sometimes I read something that I just know is the truth. Hanh's words have never jumped out at me like that. I'm in awe.

tinythinker said...

Lovely flower, lovely poem-prayer. Thanks.

Tracy said...

Thank you for introducing me to that poem.

Anonymous said...

That poem brings so much comfort. Thank you.

They call him James Ure said...

Trinity Star:

Well said and thank-you. :)

Hipster:

I'm in awe of Thay as well. He is an amazing energy.

Tiny:

You're very welcome. I'm glad that I could brighten you day friend. :)

Tracy:

You're quite welcome. I'm thankful to my friend P who provided this poem to me. :)

Anon:

I'm so so glad. It IS indeed very comforting and I'm glad that you could feel that. If I've brightened one person's day via this blog then I have done my job. :)

They call him James Ure said...

H:

Yes it is. I love the lotus flower and not just because of it's beautiful symbolism.

Wade said...

Beautiful poem, beautiful Lotus.

Both evoke a sense of calm in this crazy world.

Peace,

Wade
themiddleway.net

Johnny Newt said...

perfection in every way. You have lifted my spirit today my friend. many thanks.

Greenwoman said...

Beautiful lotus, beautiful poem...beautiful soul. Thank you for being you.

They call him James Ure said...

Wade:

Thanks. Those words do evoke calm in a crazy world.

Johnny:

If I have lifted your spirit then my day has been an even greater one. :)

GW:

You're so kind. Thank-you sweetie. I am thankful for you too. :)

HummingBird said...

Emaho

Amohe Noel said...

My Mom passed away ten years ago and today would have been her birthday. For whatever reason, it hit me especially hard today even though I should already be "used" to it after all this time.

Thank you so much for posting this - it is just what I needed today.

May you always be happy and free of suffering !!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this lovely poem, which I have chosen for the reading at my son's funeral. He experienced mental health problems and found Buddhist teachings a great comfort and shared so much with us.

Many thanks from his mum Dorothy

Agatelinks said...

Thank you for posting the poem. It's very beautiful. I lost my father to lung cancer two weeks ago, and reading this poem made me cry and smile at the same time. So grateful that I've been given 61 years of time with him. He was a good father. May he rest in peace now. Buddha bless us all...

ShareThis Option