Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Friday, July 06, 2007

Happy Birthday H.H. Dalai Lama!!!

Happy continuation (birthday) day Dalai Lama!!! He was born July 6th 1935 which makes him 72 years old. Despite his age he seems to be going strong as he travels the world as much (if not more) then a rock star. His lips form a relaxed but sincere smile that reflects his strong aura of serenity and innocence.

This is one of my favorite photos of the venerable monk. There is so much compassion, kindness and wisdom in that face. His eyes appear to be doorways to enlightenment and sparkle with happiness and peace.

I do not follow in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, however, I have great respect for it and their spiritual leader--the Dalai Lama. His Holiness has had a major impact in bringing Buddhism to the west, building it up in the west and maintaining it around the world.

He is indeed one of the most enlightened beings in this space and time where we find ourselves yet he often refers to himself as, "a simple monk." He is a precious jewel not only to Buddhists but to the entire world as he strives for peace in the world.

May we all learn from his great experience and wisdom.

Also: For what it is worth, tomorrow is 7-7-07 which according to numerologists is a lucky day and a good day to meditate.

~Peace to all beings~

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

Fair Trade Nepal said...

Well Written, Happy Birthday H. H Dalai Lama.

dragonflyfilly said...

yes, we were Blessed the day he was born....to a very HAPPY HAPPY Birthday to H> H Dalai Lama,

nameste,
pj

Mikael said...

The concept of Vajrayana is interesting though. I've spent many years in the western esoteric tradition which, as much as I can gather anyway, seems to have a lot of connection to the esoteric buddhist tradition of Tibet.

And what strikes me in that foundation is that there's some value in having a map of our spiritual unfolding.

I think it helps and these days my preference is for Zen.

May you awaken and be free.
-Mikael

www.mikaelaldridge.com

They call him James Ure said...

Fair Trade Nepal:

Thank-you.

PJ:

Indeed. He is a strong guiding light and jewel within Indra's great net.

Mikael:

It is quite interesting indeed. I started my Buddhist studies with Vajrayana.

May you awaken and be free as well. :)

Adrienne Parker said...

Hello, Nice post. And thanks. I think I knew before but had forgotten that I share the same birthday with the Dalai Lama. Now I want to do a little dedication post too. Lovely picture. Thanks

They call him James Ure said...

Adrienne:

Greetings!! Thank-you for the kind words. Having a birthday in common with the Dalai Lama doesn't surprise me in what I know about you and it is very auspicious!!! ;) That is one of my favorite pictures of the D.L.

Robin said...

Yes, we had a small celebration before our class on this day

They call him James Ure said...

Robin:

That is so cool you have a little celebration. He represents such an amazing field of energy. We are all blessed to learn from him.

Anonymous said...

Nice words. He is a true hero, most compassionate, loving and wise. A blessing in our mist.

Heartfelt

They call him James Ure said...

Anon:

Thank-you. Yes he is a true blessing indeed. I look up to him in so many ways.

ShareThis Option