Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Monday, January 12, 2009

Practice Can Not Be Measured in Time.

Munindra-ji is used to say that in spiritual practice, time is not a factor. Practice cannot be measured in time, so let go of the whole notion of when and how long. The practice is a process unfolding, and it unfolds in its own time. It is like the flowers that grow in the spring. Do you pull them up to make them grow faster? I once tried to do that with carrots in my first garden when I was eight years old. It does not work.

We do not need any particular length of time for this process of letting things be.

~Joseph Goldstein

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

James said...

Absolutely true, in my experience.

And it doesn't hurt to sit half an hour a day, either.

Or, more...

Jamie G. said...

Cool.

I am reading one of Goldstein's books right now.... One Dharma.

Alena said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Alena

www.smallbusinessavenues.com

_Eiehua said...

I have been a silent follower of your blog for about a week now. I have read a good amount of your posts and I wanted to thank you very much for taking the time to write them. They are thought provoking ! This one I found very to be so very truthful. Time is an nothing but our own invention. I think when we dont let go of time we lose patience and to lose patience is to build anxiety....to build anxiety is to lose the notion of the present time and enjoying and appreciating life...Beautiful post!

They call him James Ure said...

James:

Yeah even 5 minutes can make a world of difference in our lives.

Jamie:

I've seen that book and wondered if it's good. Is it? I've thought about checking it out.

Eiehua:

For you first comment it's a wonderful one. I completely agree that time is an invention to try and break apart that which can not be broken apart-suchness.

Paul said...

I read this earlier this week on your blog. It is stimulating. Something in my mind wants to react to this but somehow the feeling evades me before I can realise what it is.
I love it.

sunnyray said...

So true, so beautifully said, and so important for us in the West to remember.

ShareThis Option