Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Buddha on PBS April 7th.

The Public Broadcasting Service here in America was kind enough to send me an advanced copy of the documentary, "The Buddha" by David Grubin, which is set to air on April 7th (check your local listings). It tells the story of the life of Buddha and the teaches he shared that would bloom into one of the largest religions of the world. As I watched it noticed I noticed that it was very similar to Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh's book, "Old Path, White Clouds." It is a book that is very thick and somewhat tedious to read in parts but it is probably the best book I've read on the details of Buddha's life as we know them. If you don't have the time to read such a large book then I highly suggest watching this documentary if you can.

The imagery used in this documentary is as beautiful as it is inspiring. The fields and villages shown look as though they probably did back in Buddha's time, which helps the viewers realize the timelessness to Buddha and his teachings. I found this documentary to be very intimate in that it portrays Buddha in such a humble light. Some documentaries laud him to the point of godhood, which I think the awakened one would caution against. The music blended nicely with the storyline and carried us from scene to scene as if it were Buddha's hand itself guiding us along. In a sense, this documentary not only tells his story but our own as well. After all, the point of his story is to open the door to the path he followed, for ourselves. It is not just a bedtime story but rather a map that explains life itself.

~Peace to all beings~

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

Adam said...

Lucky bastard!

André said...

Thanks for telling us about this documentary. I had totally forgotten about it up until now!

And as always, I love your blog. I lose my faith in mankind quite often but your blog is one of the places that reminds me that there's still some good in this world :)

Sunrise Global Solutions said...

http://coomararunodaya.com/

ultrarunnerbrianphilpot said...

Thanks! Can't wait too check it out.

fyreflye said...

There are already clips from this on YouTube and on Rev. Danny Fisher's blog.

Queer Heaven said...

I found you blog via Holy Queer. I am so glad I did.
I think I shall read all your past posts this weekend.
And thanks for reminding me to schedule the PBS documentary.

Buddhist_philosopher said...

I'll second Adam :)

Vagabonde said...

Thanks so much for mentioning this upcoming program. I rarely watch TV and would have missed it. I emailed my daughter to tape it so she can show it to the grandchildren when they are a bit older, they are 1 and 3 years old. I always read your blog, but never comment (don’t think my comments would be too interesting.)

RN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RN said...

Goodness, I just found your blog! Thank you so much for sharing the info about the upcoming documentary. I did see Unmistaken Child and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to future posts.
Roberta
http://daisychain.typepad.com/the_poet_in_you/

念強念強 said...

網路美女遙遙寫真集經溣美女2009寫真倉井空寫真集tiger777 net正妹牆成人正妹牆正妹論壇av999免費影片250av女優免費影片日本ol絲襪美腿日本車展美女日本黃色漫畫日本黃色影片日本護士踢小弟弟影片日本護士圖片日本貼圖網站日本賽車絲襪美女日本賽車女郎寫真日本賽車女郎寫真影片美女 視訊美女 視訊色情a圖情色成人 自拍av一葉情貼影色網18 禁一葉情貼影入口免費看成人片080苗栗人聊天室網愛聊天a片免費看台中援交硬弟弟論壇免費視訊173liveshow0401成人吉澤明步免費情色視訊曖曖成人影院性愛早餐性愛時間長短論壇性愛享受性愛激情圖片

roconnor said...

If you're interested in any of the process of making this film's animation (there's about 25 minutes), we've been chronicling it on and off for the past several months.

http://asteriskpix.blogspot.com/search/label/buddha

It was a great pleasure to work on this film, and we hope you all enjoy it as we have.

heidenkind said...

Very excited about this documentary! I'll be out of town on that day, but I have set to record on the DVR.

ShareThis Option