Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Friday, June 04, 2010

Burma Building Nukes.

A new investigation has revealed that Burma has begun a nuclear weapons program with the help of North Korea. A documentary made by the Norway-based group Democratic Voice of Burma says evidence has come from top-secret material smuggled out of the country over several years. The investigation found the south-east Asian country was a long way from producing a nuclear weapon, but had gone to great lengths to acquire the technology and expertise to do so. Read the full report: Click on this sentence.

The most important agreement that Burma must satisfy is its agreement with the IAEA. It signed an agreement with the IAEA in 1995 that it would not pursue nuclear weapons under a carefully defined standard international legal agreement. Burma has certified that it has no nuclear facilities, has minimal nuclear materials, and has no plans to change this situation. The information brought by Sai suggests that Burma is mining uranium, converting it to uranium compounds for reactors and bombs, and is trying to build a reactor and or an enrichment plant that could only be useful for a bomb. There is no chance that these activities are directed at a reactor to produce electricity in Burma.

James: As we say here in America, "Arms are for hugging, not killing." The Burmese are starving and impoverished, yet the dictatorship would rather spend money on trying to acquire nuclear weapons. Burma is a good reminder of why politics often falls short because by nature it is based on power, which is an extension of greed--one of the three poisons in Buddhism.

~Peace to all beings~

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Mumon said...

Forgive me if I'm slightly suspicious and cynical.

Who are Burma's enemies, what are their military threats?


Sure they're an odious, repressive military dictatorship...sure...uh...they... have hydrocarbon resources.

Need I connect the dots?

Maybe it's true; maybe these paranoid guys are concocting nukes.

But we've been there and done that, and I'd like to see more than a report relying on a former major in the Burmese army.

We've been down that road already.

Let's keep a watch on this, but not make rash pronouncements just yet. Remeber Ahmed Chalabi?

Jim said...

Sorry Jimbo, while arms may be for hugging and not killing, the comment that it is an American sentiment will ring as somewhat sarcastic (or blindly oblivious to fact) to many of us who either live outside of the U.S, or occasionally attend to world events without the filter of corporate propaganda.

If it is an American sentiment – you know what to do. Stop the killing, and stop stealing other peoples stuff.

呈均 said...

Well done!............................................................

They call him James Ure said...

Mumon:

I'm not saying I fully trust this report but there is enough information to be suspicious. I'm not suggesting though by any means that we (America) should invade Burma because we suspect they have nukes ala Iraq.

My hunch is that IF they ARE building nukes that it is because they know that it's harder to get countries with nukes to listen to reason and sit down to talks.

It is also less likely that they'd be invaded (which I wouldn't recommend America do at all even if they SHOULD get nukes). So, I suspect their motivation would be to use nukes as a hedge against foreign intervention. I'm not suggesting though with this post that we (America) should involve ourselves militarily.

Jim:

I don't mean to sound sarcastic because I really do believe in the sentiments of peace and that arms are for hugging. I agree with your point that America has been involved in too many wars and shady dealings in the past.

However, just because I'm a fellow American doesn't necessarily mean I agree with these wars and policies. I did everything in my power to protest the war in Iraq and to pull out quickly from there and Afghanistan.

As for paying attention to world events, I do. I follow the news both here and abroad intently everyday. Domestic news and foreign news sources are things I check daily because three of my hobbies are politics, news and geo-politics.

As for stopping the killing and stealing--I'm trying my best. However, it's not that simple for an average person like myself to stop what the corrupt politicians do.

I write on another blog (a political one dealing with America and the world) about how much I disapprove of how America is handling Iraq, Afghanistan and other areas around the world.

I write letters to my Senators and Representatives, as well as the president in hopes of getting them to listen. While there are many in America who support this war-like attitude there are many of us who disagree with that sentiment. Especially many of us Buddhists here.

Believe me, if I were in charge I'd have us out of all countries where we have a military presence. As well as implementing fairer trading practices involving America to give other countries a better chance at developing into what America has become.

I also, by the way, am very much anti-nuclear weapons as you have probably seen with my icon on the blog that proclaims my distaste for nukes. I tell everyone I can that I'd like to see America GREATLY reduce the nuclear weapons in its arsenal. Not all of us Americans are for war, or exploiting other countries.

熙辰 said...

與人相處不妨多用眼睛說話,多用嘴巴思考,...........................................................................

展姍展姍 said...

良言一句三冬暖,惡語傷人六月寒。...........................................................................

向花 said...

Time and tide wait for no man. ............................................................

ShareThis Option