Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Pema Chodron Online Retreat: Free Tickets Offer.

Renowned Tibetan Buddhist nun, and author, Pema Chodron will be leading an online retreat this month from the 15th through the 17th. She seldom leads such an event for the general public, so this is something special. Not surprisingly, the event sold out early but don't fret; Shambhala has kindly offered a chance for "virtual" participation via live-streaming of the retreat online. Click on this sentence for further information; including on how to sign-up for the online event. Shambhala is also offering you a chance to receive two, free, tickets to the event. If you are interested in the tickets; please write a short comment on how you deal with fear in your Dharma practice, or (if your not Buddhist) "how do you deal with fear in your personal life?"). I'll pick two that I like the most and award those authors with one ticket each. I'll look forward to your replies!!

~Peace to all beings~

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

EdaMommy said...

Hi James! Hope this finds you well.

I've had to face a lot of fears of late. Best thing I've found for it is taking a deep breath and facing my fear directly, whether that's literal or through an action I'm avoiding.

Often I find that it's not as horrible as I thought. At the very least I see demonstrated the truth that all things are temporary, everything passes/changes. That can be quite a comfort.

bookbird said...

For me - at the moment? I am running headlong into fear, screaming - aaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!

I am trying this year to work with my fears so that they don't get on top of me and hurt me anymore. Like being scared of the dark - eventually the dark comes. It's what happens next that makes a difference.

bookbird said...

by the way i sent this out as a tweet - so you should get a lot more comments soon.

Shulamit Day Berlevtov said...

I deal with fear with 'check in, check out.'

First I check in with what's happening in my body, allowing the sensations to arise and pass without any story. Then I check out (and take time to be affected by) the resources that are available to me in my environment, for example a peaceful room, a beautiful view, or friends I can ask for support. I have found this helps when anxiety attacks me.

Thanks for this opportunity to share :-)

Bebop said...

I have an extremely hard time dealing with anxiety which often transforms into fear. Since beginning my practice it has helped to take a step back, analyze my current spot, and breath. Sometimes it works, sometimes the physiological effects take over my body and the fear turns to panic. But it is happening less and less...

Bebop said...

P.S. This is not Bebop speaking, this is his Ami

They call him James Ure said...

Thanks everyone for commenting. I've decided on two winners; EdaMommy, I liked how you spoke about finding after breathing deeply that you were better centered to see the truth behind the fear. And how it allowed you to see that those fears aren't as horrible as you thought. So, you are the first recipient of a ticket.

Shulamit, you are the other recipient. I liked how you mentioned relaxing your body too. If we can relax our body, (which our brain is apart of) then I find I'm in a better place to deal with fear and anxiety.

Thanks everyone for commenting. I appreciated them all and hope that we can all learn to better cope with our fears. I wish you all the best in working on them. It's something that we all are working on in our different ways.

They call him James Ure said...

Winners...please send me an email at: jaymur-at-gmail.com

You'll need to give me your full names and your email address. I will then send them on to the Shambhala organization who is carrying this workshop. Please know that your names and email addresses are safe and private. Thanks!!

ShareThis Option