Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Altar 2.0

I've finally got the altar up at our new house. I've been wanting a Chinese style altar table for some time as I really like the designs. Plus, at the old place the altar was sitting on our entertainment center. So, it was a bit cramped. I also like that this altar has a little storage space inside; behind a set of small doors in the front of it. You can kind of see them with the knobs in this picture. They slide back and forth, and there is surprisingly more room in it then you might think form looking at the outside.

So, that gives me all the room I need to store my incense, candles and other Dharma items. The Buddha is a new addition as well. I wanted one that looked a bit more Indian in design. I just like that style of depicting the Tathagata.

Then I've got my traditional picture of my teacher Thich Nhat Hanh on the altar with a stalk of bamboo, a bowl for incense, a Tibetan singing bowl and a rock candle holder. It's nice to have the altar unpacked and sitting in the new home. It brings a nice energy to the place. Anyway, boring post but I thought some might be interested in where I meditate. Bowing.

~Peace to all beings~

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Paul Garrigan said...

Your alter looks impressive. I have a little altar in my office but it annoys my wife. We live in Thailand and they don't like the idea of a Buddha statue being lower then a person's head. My wife thinks that my little altar is a bit disrespectful.

BD said...

Nice set up, I suppose there are no hard and fast rules for setting up an altar ? What can and can't be there ?

Anonymous said...

Nice statue, where did you find it? I have been searching for one in a long time, I didn't like any of the statues on amazon, ebay and other online stores.

They call him James Ure said...

Thanks Paul. It is nice to have a place away from the rest of the house designated for meditation. Ah, I didn't know that about Thailand and the level of the Buddha. Interesting!!

@BD...Some teachers might say that there are some hard and fast rules but generally from my experience it is left up to the practionter.

My altars have always revolved around Buddha of course. But other than that I like to have it reflect little touches of my life and my Zen tradition.

They call him James Ure said...

@Anonymous...I don't remember exactly where I got the statue from. If you send me an email address and I can find it then I'll send you a reply message. :) Email: jaymur-at-gmail-dot-com.

ShareThis Option