Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Friday, January 28, 2011

Food Review: Boca Original Meatless Chicken Nuggets.

If you're the kind of vegetarian, like myself, then you aren't a purist; preferring only the taste of vegetables. Even after 9 years of being vegetarian; I miss the taste of meat--yes, I know, a lot of vegetarians think that is blasphemy but it's purely about flavor. I don't want to kill or be complicit in the killing of animals for my food but I never hated the taste of meat. However, I do dislike the smell of cooking meat but I think that's from the animal fat burning.

Anyway, so, I eat faux meat products--in other words, fake meat products, to get my meat taste fix. These products are usually made from soy bean protein and wheat protein. A lot of the synthetic meat products on the market today are surprisingly close in taste--unlike in decades past.

The product I am reviewing today is Boca brand's meatless chicken nuggets; the actual name is, "Boca Original Meatless Chik'n Nuggets." I like to use them to make meatless buffalo wing chicken nuggets by marinating them in buffalo wing sauce. I usually eat the Morning Star brand of meatless nuggets, which are good but the Boca meatless chicken nuggets are better and much more scrumptious. They not only have have that real, sweet, chicken flavor but the texture isn't just a clump of soy meat. It's consistency is stringy, soft and tender like real chicken meat. It's not dry, tough, chewy or mushy like some soy protein products. I think they even taste better than McDonald's chicken nuggets--and without all the "mystery meat" questions that come-up with fast-food chicken nuggets.

Overall, they are delicious and I can't stop eating them!! Try them with barbecue sauce, buffalo wing sauce, soy sauce or cut them up into chunks to add to your salad. I give them 4 and 1/2, yummy stars out of 5--a must have for vegetarians who still like the taste of meat now and then. Please support them with your shopping dollars because we need to show these companies that we appreciate their products.

~Peace to all Beings~

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Iblisian said...

I'm the same as you. I like the smell of meat cooking (I even don't mind the smell of raw meat at the Butcher), but I believe it's unethical to cause unnecessary pain to others, and indisputably the consumption of meat causes suffering to others.

Unfortunately I'm not exactly spoilt for choice in my town. I can either buy tofu or those horribly mushy vegie sausages. Luckily I absolutely love tofu (the firm stuff. Fried).
I have tried making my own wheat gluten faux meat. It turned out ok, but it's a messy, water-wasting business.
I think I'll stick with the tofu, or by some miracle, my local store starts stocking those "Boca Original Meatless Chik'n Nuggets" of yours. I wouldn't mind giving them a shot!

Old Hindi Songs said...

Hmmm.........

you are making my tounge lick,i have to try

michelle said...

Just a little warning on consuming too much soy. One oncologist said 51% of his breast cancer patients are vegan women who consume large amounts of soy. One cup of soy milk has three times more soy than the average asian consumes in a week. Soy is synthetic estrogen so it's problematic and the soy industry doesn't want you to know this.It's been about six years since I read all this stuff, so I can't provide a link, but google it. The info is out there.

Your recipe sounds delicious though and as an occasional treat? Why not.

BD said...

That's great that they actually taste right and the texture is improved. In Canada we don't have that brand available. I have kids and my oldest often laments that it all tastes fake. With both myself and my spouse working -there is no time to make homemade seitan. Time saving vegetarian options are welcome in my house.

sweeneytoad said...

Morningstar had corndogs that I was able to get my hubby to enjoy (and he hates real meat corndogs) but I can no longer find them. I do like their chikin patties though.

Aryn said...

Keep in mind Morning Star is owned by Tyson...

ShareThis Option