Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Tao of Joy Every Day by Derek Lin.

The beauty of Taoism is that the wisdom is simple yet profound and that is the strength of Derek Lin's book, The Tao of Joy Every Day: 365 Days of Tao Living. Its easy reference style makes it a great gift for those who are often too busy for deep, extended, contemplative meditation.


The book offers up easily digestible wisdom for when you need a quick bit of inspiration. It is a great way to start the day, and it's small size makes it ideal for a nightstand book. It's short but powerful entries are great for settling the mind before bedtime, or on nights when you can't sleep.

Another aspect of the book that I enjoyed was the ancient, Taoist wisdom is translated for a modern audience and tailored for today's society. Therefore, it's quite easy to see how the Taoist wisdom can be applied in our every day actions and situations. It's a great "stocking-stuffer" gift for this, and any other holiday season. It's a great addition to any Eastern wisdom book collection.

~I bow to the Buddha within all things~

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

Cathy Ginter said...

Thank you for the review... it looks like a sweet share ~ OM

BD said...

While I haven't read this book yet I have recently started re-reading the Tao Teh Ching.
Interesting timing.
Thanks for the post

erranttranscendentalist said...

Thanks for the suggested reading!! I always appreciate a thoughtful review.

anna said...

This looks like such an interesting book. I'm going to look out for it. Very pleased to have discovered your blog :)

anna said...

This looks like such an interesting book. I'm going to look out for it. Very pleased to have discovered your blog :)

dancingantelope.com said...

I believe there should be joy in every day. No matter what. This belief asserted itself most deeply when I went through very traumatic times. Never did I give up seeking or creating joy, even in the smallest bits. It's what kept me going all along :)

alexbarnes38 said...

Have you heard about the New Jediism Order? The Jedi religion is based on Buddhist teachings from books like this as well as various philosophies, I think it would be interesting to hear your opinion of Jediism.

The link is www.newjediismorder.org if you wanted to do some research; how far do the beliefs of Jediism mirror that of Buddhism?

MTFBWY

gayatri said...

This is a nice review. I was reading a similar type of book recently. Laughing Buddha: an alchemy of euphoric living, by Sakshi Chetana... A great read.

Don said...

Thanks for the review. I'll check out the book.
BTW, I've linked you on my blog. Great site.

Brooke said...

I haven't read that one yet, but here's the latest tweet from http://twitter.com/DalaiLama:

HHDL talks about nonviolence at the Mahatma Gandhi International Award for Reconciliation & Peace ceremony on Jan 4. youtu.be/M93VOALwnoI

ShareThis Option